Pages

Marian Martin Vintage Dress Pattern #9052

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Good morning!


One of the things I have done for a while now is keep a list of the special vintage patterns I have came across online. I search a couple times a week on Etsy, Ebay and a couple FB pages for these patterns. Apparently the few I have on my list must be somewhat rare because it took me a while to come across this Marian Martin pattern. I saw it pop up on Etsy and hesitated for a minute because it was a size 10 but ended up purchasing anyways with the intent of grading down to the 4 that I needed.



The grading process wasn't too difficult. I used the measurement difference between sizes to figure out how much I needed to remove from the pattern pieces. After adjusting the pattern pieces, I then made a muslin. The fit from the first muslin was pretty great but the sleeves were a little too "batwing-ish" for my liking and so made a second muslin with the excess removed from the sleeve region.

The pattern itself was beautifully written. I loved all of the old school sewing "tips" she provided in her tutorial.
Joni absolutely adored the dress! #momwin
The only thing that probably would have made the dress better in her eyes is if it was blue. She was all about pink/purple/yellow for the last few years but suddenly woke up one morning and it was BLUE. ALL THINGS BLUE. 🙄
Back to the dress, I have it shown on a 2T mannequin so it looks a little big. But you get the idea. 
I added piping to the top and bottom of the waistband seam.
The buttons are from Joanns. Originally, I wanted to find a deep plum color but none I found looked quite as nice as the light tortoise ones.
The trim along the bottom is vintage lace I had in my stash. I am not sure where it came from but it really complimented this color nicely and added a special touch. The pattern directions call for a 3" hem allowance. I am a HUGE fan of a wide hem but due to the amount of fabric I had on hand, I had to use a 2" hem instead.
 Aren't those bodice darts lovely?! There is just something about darts that makes me happy.
One of the changes I made to the original pattern construction was to fully line the bodice. Aside from being faster than applying bias around all edges, I love the look of a fully lined bodice on the inside.
This is the second dress I have made using this pattern. The other can be seen on my IG account. I really can't rave enough about this pattern....I have a feeling I will be making a ton of these every summer until Joni outgrows it.

OH, and I just found that MM must have made "Mommy & Me" patterns because I found the identical MM dress pattern sized for adults! The listing was sold, so I will be putting that one on my "wish list". ;)

Until next time,
Angie

Thyme Vest Pattern by Paisley Roots - One Thimble Magazine 14

Monday, February 13, 2017

Hello-hello everyone!

New year, new blog for this girl. 🎉 I let my old blog expire at the beginning of last year for many reasons. I honestly wasn't sure that I even wanted to have a blog again but realized this past year that I miss having one quite a bit! So here we are....


Let's talk about the new Thyme Vest pattern by Paisley Roots - available in the One Thimble 14 Magazine. I love how it turned out and am really excited for spring to hurry up and get here so my little girl can wear it!


The fabrics I used were all from Joann's. They had several color options at my store, I am anxious to make a trip to town again to get some of the navy!


I ended up sourcing the zippers on Etsy. I ordered #567 & #566. All of the hardware came from Joann's as well. They have these cute little kits specifically for Anorak Jackets/Vests.


I made two changes to the pattern. The first was adding the flap pockets - I love flap pockets and thought they would look cute with this style vest. Karly (the designer) will be adding a tutorial for these pockets on her blog to achieve this look as well! The second change was to omit the pocket lining. I finished all edges by serger, folding under the top as you would normally do with a pocket and then topstitching. I did this primarily so the lining would not be visible along the folded pocket edges. Due to the drastic contrast in the color of my lining and main fabric, I felt it would show much more than if my fabrics were of similar colors. :)


I layered this vest with the Mingo & Grace Crop Top. I modified by sizing down for use with Ponte and omitting all back closures. I then added a peplum bottom. Although Joni isn't the biggest fan of black, she really loved this top and asked for a second. Of course, she keeps pointing to a knit floral I am hoarding for myself....back away from my floral child!


The back features a sweet curved hem.


Sizing was very accurate to the size chart.

Size sewn: 3T/1" added to length.
Stats: 22.5" chest, 20" waist, 22" hips, height 47".



All-in-all, I love this pattern and will most definitely be making it for many years to come. <3

-Angie






CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan